Virtual Settsu 33 Kannon Pilgrimage #24 Daimon-ji Temple
Seiryu-ji Temple was founded in 771 by Prince Kaijo (724-781), who also founded would-be Katsuo-ji Temple. Seiryu-ji Temple also changed its name to Daimon-ji Temple later, presumably in the 9th century. In the middle of the century, Daimon-ji Temple was at the height of its prosperity, and had many buildings within its precincts, including the Main Hall, Sukhavati-vyuha Hall, Kaijo Hall, Three-storied Pagoda, the Guardian Twelve Deities Hall, Hakusan Shrine, Homa Hall, Middle Gate, Sarasvati Hall, Sutra Storehouse, Thousand-Armed Sahasrabhuja Hall, Tow-storied Gate, Inner Sanctuary, and Bhaisajyaguru Hall.
On May 18th, 1196, a big earthquake hit Settsu Province. At the end of the Kamakura Period (1183-1333), the temple was burned in battle. The temple fell into ruin. Priest Kaiga revived the temple at the beginning of the Edo Period (1603-1867).
Address: 97 Daimonji, Ibaraki, Osaka 568-0093
Phone: 072-649-2027
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home