Virtual Kako County Chichibu 33 Kannon Pilgrimage #1 Joko-ji Temple
Joko-ji Temple was founded in 1336 by Ashikaga Takauji (1305-1358), who was forced to retreat to the west in February, 1336. He accepted the counsel of Akamatsu Norimura (1277-1350) and headed down to Kyushu. He seized Kyoto again in June. He honored Monk Beppo Daishu (1321-1402) as the temple’s founder. The temple flourished with a full complex of temple buildings and a three-story pagoda. It later fell into decline following a fire. It was revived during the Eisho era (1504–1521) by Akamatsu Yoshimura (?-1521) and renamed Shoko-ji. However, it burned down again in the battles during the Tensho era (1573–1592). Later, during the Eiroku era (1558–1570), a man named Juken, who is supposed to have belonged to the Kako Family, built a hall and renamed it Joko-ji.
In 1648, the Chan master Nanshitsu (1591–1671), a descendant of the Akamatsu Clan, was invited from Keiun-ji Temple in Himeji to serve as the temple's restorer and second founder. Although the temple soon suffered another fire that destroyed its buildings, Buddhist statues, and treasures, it was rebuilt by Nanshitsu during the Manji era (1658–1661). Subsequently, during the tenure of the eleventh head priest, Kuho, a monks' hall was opened to serve as a training center for itinerant monks.
Address: Kanno-332-1 Kannocho, Kakogawa, Hyogo 675-0003
Phone: 079-438-8022
Keiun-ji Temple
Address: 10-1 Nozatokeiunjimaecho, Himeji, Hyogo 670-0813
Phone: 079-222-3918


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home