My Photo
Name:
Location: Sakai, Osaka, Japan

Saturday, November 20, 2021

Rakuyo 33 Kannon Pilgrimage in My Order (2)

 Rakuyo 33 Kannon Pilgrimage #21 Hosho-ji Temple

     I stepped out of Keihan Tofukuji Station east and walked south along the Nara Kaido (the Nara Ancient Highway).  I passed under an elevated modern highway.  After several minutes' walk, I found Hosho-ji Temple on my left.  It looked like an ordinary Kyoto old house.  A female pilgrim was waiting for her "goshuin" (a certificate to show her actual visit).  Some pilgrims are keen about collecting "goshuin" with their "goshuin-cho" (a certificate book) ready to be stamped and signed.  When I was taking a photo of its sign which told me the building was the Rakuyo 33 Kannon Pilgrimage #21, an extremely old lady came out of the building to hand the certification sheet to the pilgrim.  Some temples have eliminated labor, and they just hand a copy of stamped and signed certification.  The lady also told me not to take any photo.  Not caring for "goshuin", I silently left the temple.


Address: 307 Honmachi, Higashiyama Ward, Kyoto, 605-0981

Phone: 075-541-8767



Rakuyo 33 Kannon Pilgrimage #20 Yokihi Kannon-do Hall

     After sightseeing the Tsutenkyo Bridge surrounded with beautiful red maple leaves and packed with sightseers in Tofuku-ji Temple, I kept away from busy approaches and took the Kyoto Trail Higashiyama instead.  I walked out of Tofuku-ji Temple through a small modern gate near Sanmon, an old big temple gate which is permanently closed, and turned left to climb a hill.  After walking for more than 10 minutes, I found a narrow way down to the upper stream of Ninohashi River, which ran under the Tsuten-kyo Bridge.  I crossed the stream, walked up hills, and arrived in front of the reception of Sen'yu-ji Temple.

     I knew I had to pay the admission fee for the temple to visit #20 Avalokitesvara statue of the Rakuyo 33 Kannon Pilgrimage.  I paid 500 yen and took to a narrow alley on my left.

     Scientifically speaking, the statue of Arya Avalokitesvara, who is the human-figure prototype of the other 6 metamorphoses, is supposed to have been made under the Southern Song Dynasty (1127-1279), and it was brought to Japan in 1255.  Its beauty generated a rumor that Emperor Xuanzon (685-762) of the Tang Dynasty ordered to make it after Yang Yuhuan (719-756), or more commonly known as Yang Guifei, who was known as one of the Three Beauties in the world.  Paying no attention to the gossip, the Arya Avalokitesvara statue was silently looking down at me.


Sen'yu-ji Temple

Address: 27 Sennyuji Yamanouchicho, Higashiyama Ward, Kyoto, 605-0977

Phone: 075-561-1551



Rakuyo 33 Kannon Pilgrimage #18 Zenno-ji Temple

     I stepped out of the precincts of Sen'yu-ji Temple north.  Soon, I walked down a slope to find Zenno-ji Temple on my left.  It was apparently unstaffed with a small hall at the far end of the corner.  The temple must have been a pretty one in its days.  Between its temple gate and the hall, I found a garden covered with moss on my left.  At the back of the hall, there was a dry landscape garden.  Or was it a garden with a pond whose water had dried up?  Looking back from the hall to the gate, I saw a vacant lot which was surrounded with beautiful maple trees.  Was there a dwelling house for priests from whose windows a retired priest enjoyed watching red maple leaves?  Time has rolled on, and it is only illusions that still linger.



Address: 34 Sennyuji Yamanouchicho, Higashiyama Ward, Kyoto, 605-0977



Rakuyo 33 Kannon Pilgrimage #19 Imakumano-Kannon-ji Temple

     I walked out of Zenno-ji Temple and started walking down along an approach between Sen'yu-ji Temple and a bus street.  After a few minutes, I found a red arched bridge with many banners flying.  All the banners and a couple of signs showed that the Saigoku 33 Kannon Pilgrimage #15 Imakumano-Kannon-ji Temple was over the bridge.  Nothing was talking about the Rakuyo 33 Kannon Pilgrimage #19 Imakumano-Kannon-ji Temple.  It's no use complaining about unfair treatment between the 2 pilgrimage.  The Saigoku 33 Kannon Pilgrimage was the first Kannon Pilgrimage organized in Japan.  Most other Kannon Pilgrimages were organized as copies of the Saigoku 33 Kannon Pilgrimage.

     I walked through more banners and arrived at the main hall of the temple, which has enshrined eleven-faced Ekadasamukha statue since the 9th century.  According to legend, the Saigoku 33 Kannon Pilgrimage was organized in the 8th century, and the Rakuyo 33 Kannon Pilgrimage was organized by Emperor Go-Shirakawa (1127-1192) as one of the first copies.


Address: 32 Sennyuji Yamanouchicho, Higashiyama Ward, Kyoto 605-0977

Phone: 075-561-5511



Rakuyo 33 Kannon Pilgrimage #25 Hoon-in Temple

     I walked out of Imakumano-Kannon-ji Temple and continued to walk down along Sen'yu-ji Temple's approach to the bus street.  After 5 minutes, I found Hoon-in Temple on my left.

     Hoon-in Temple belongs to the Shingon Sect, yet it enshrines the statue of Amoghapasa, who usually has 3 eyes and 8 arms, which is usually enshrined in temples which belong to the Tiantai Sect.

     After visiting Hoon-in Temple, I called it a day for my revisiting the Rakuyo 33 Kannon Pilgrimage.  It was before the COVID -19 pandemic that I first visited its #1 Rokkaku-do and #6 Konkai-Komyo-ji Temples.


Address: 30 Sennyuji Yamanouchicho, Higashiyama Ward, Kyoto 605-0977

Phone: 075-551-0961

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home