My Photo
Name:
Location: Sakai, Osaka, Japan

Thursday, April 16, 2020

Settsu 33 Kannon Pilgrimage ---In My Order---


     The city name Sakai (literally Border) comes from the location of the city: it used to be located at the border of the 3 provinces: Izumi, Kawachi, and Settsu Provinces.  The station name Mikunigaoka (namely Three-Province Hill) also has the same history.
     As I live in Sakai, which was basically located in Izumi Province, I though I should express my respect to the neighboring 33 Kannon pilgrimages: Kawachi and Settsu 33 Kannon Pilgrimages.
     One day, I drove east to visit a couple fo the member temples of Kawachi 33 Kannon Pilgrimage, and then….

#32 Nyoman-ji Temple  
     I continued by driving out of the narrow and crooked streets around Dairin-ji Temple, the westernmost member temple of Kawachi 33 Kannon Pilgrimage.  I drove into a large street, and drove north to cross Yamato River, which ran between Kawachi and Settsu Provinces.  After a while, I turned right.  After that, every time I turned, the streets got narrower and more crooked.  Finally, I was in front of Nyogan-ji Temple, the southernmost member temple of Settsu 33 Kannon Pilgrimage.
     It was on my return trip that the bigger problem struck me.  I followed the vehicle navigation system, to get caught in even narrower streets.  Once, I had to back up my car.  I shouldn’t have visited the temple by car.  I should have parked my car somewhere outside the area.
     Thus, my across-three-province trip ended by returning to Sakai, which used to belong to Izumi Province.

#7 Suma-dera Temple
  I stepped out of Suma-dera Station, and found Suma-dera Shopping Mall running from the station toward Suma-dera Temple, which is #7 temple and also the westernmost temple of Settsu 33 Kannon Pilgrimage, and which is also #7 temple of Fukuhara 33 Kannon Pilgrimage.  Actually, I was visiting some member temples of Fukuhara 33 Kannon Pilgrimage in Suma Ward on the day.
     The main deity of Suma-dera Temple is Senju Kannon, or Sahasrabhuja, who has 1,000 arms.

To be continued

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home